Information for Artists
Exhibition & Event Opportunities | Exhibition Proposals deadline: 8 November 2022
The Andrew & Laura McCain Art Gallery provides a year-round, professional venue and has been exhibiting local and regional artists for over thirty years – cultivating a broader appreciation and knowledge of the arts in New Brunswick.
How to Apply: Andrew & Laura McCain Art Gallery Exhibition Proposals
Exhibit proposals are reviewed annually with exhibitions scheduled approximately six months to one year in advance. We welcome inquiries throughout the year, but the best time to apply is during open calls for proposals. We advertise these on our website, Facebook and on ArtsLink. The current Open Call has been during the summer of 2022. The deadline for proposals to be considered by the next Selection Committee is November 8, 2022
In choosing exhibitions, The Andrew & Laura McCain Art Gallery maintains a balanced schedule of professional and emerging artist work from the local community, the province and region. The Gallery is also committed to exhibiting children’s art.
We encourage artists to get to know the Gallery by visiting several exhibits in order to understand our space and vision. Follow us on social media including YouTube and an archive of current and previous exhibitions are featured on our website.
The Gallery welcomes inquiries and we are happy to assist you in preparing your proposal.
- Your name, the exhibition’s working title, your address and contact information appear on all numbered pages of your submission.
- A description of the project including a working title and a clear description of the type of work(s). Maximum 200 word PDF.
- A current artist’s statement that includes the concept / theme, and objectives for the exhibition. Maximum 350 word PDF. A list of artists if it is a proposal for a group exhibition with one contact person identified to represent the group.
- Brief description of display requirements for the gallery floors, walls, ceiling and or equipment. Maximum 200 word PDF.
- Artist(s) CV. Maximum 2 pages per artist.
- Maximum 15 digital (JPEG) images of work. No larger than 1.5 MB each. JPEG format, maximum of 1240 pixels along the longest side. Submitted via Drop Box, We transfer or on a USB drive with an accompanying image list following the format described below.
- An image list, with each image numbered (01-15) with the following information: “01_ALMAG_artist’s name_title_date completed_media_dimensions (HxWxD)” . Please order your images from most recent to oldest and make sure your image list corresponds to the digital images. You may add additional information to the Image List, maximum 80 words per image.
Exhibition proposals may be submitted by mail or electronically to:
Subject: Andrew & Laura McCain Art Gallery Exhibit Proposal
*Please include all attachments as PDFs or JPEGs according to the specifications.
Further Display Opportunities
The Gallery hosts numerous events and activities for artists to showcase and sell their work, as well as lead demonstrations, workshops and other teaching opportunities.
In addition to the main exhibition space, the Andrew & Laura McCain Art Gallery supports local and regional artists through the Gallery Shop.
Please call the gallery at 506-392-6769 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about these opportunities.
Artists in Residence
Each year the Gallery hosts one or more Artists in Residence.
In 2022, printmaker Diana Baldwin was our Artist in Residence from September 5-18.
Inquiries for teaching workshops are welcome. See Call for Workshop Proposals.
The River Art Centre
The Andrew & Laura McCain Art Gallery owns and operates the River Art Centre & Studios, located at 8746 Main St in Florenceville-Bristol. This beautiful studio space has 4 private artist studios rented year-round to professional artists. Short term rental is available in the communal creative space upstairs for periods up to three months. Call 506-392-6769 for more details.
Studio Space Rentals
Private Studio Space and Shared Studio memberships are available in upstairs at the River Art Centre. Downstairs are two studios; one dedicated to carving classes and the second is a versatile creative space that is used for workshops, school programming, summer art camps for all ages and transforms into the Print Studio when required.
River Art Centre Print Shop
In 2018 with the assistance of the Sheila Hugh Mackay Foundation, the RAC purchased an etching press from Takach Press in New Mexico. With a 24″ x 48″ bed, it is a professional press and the shop is set up for non-toxic etching (ferric acid) as well as other techniques.
Print Shop Rental is available to interested printmakers who can demonstrate suitable technical skill. The cost is $30 per day. There is an artist-in-residence programme at the Gallery. Interested emerging and professional Printmakers please inquire. Call 506-392-6769 for more details.